Each spring I dig up our vegetable garden using a round mouth shovel garden fork. It usually takes me a couple of weeks to get it ready… if I don’t have to deal with flooding.
A couple of years ago a friend of Jenny’s came over husband and tiller in tow to till our garden. They tilled the garden in less than an hour so each year since I have thought about buying a little tiller and this year we did.
Just about a week ago Jenny and I went to Canadian Tire and bought a little Troy Built Tiller.
Troy Built Garden Tiller
I used the tiller to loosen the soil at the north end of the garden where it’s the lowest and then dug it out down to about 18 inches then filled the hole with broken twigs and yard debris to help build it up for less flooding as well as better drainage.
Next I built a 4×8 raised using 2×10 lumber I found being thrown away by some people moving out of an apartment building.
Once I dragged it into place I put three or four wheelbarrow loads of organic compost in the bottom and a couple of loads of top soil which I mixed together and then continued filling with top soil until close to the top.
Should not flood anymore and I can sit on the edge of the raised bed instead of kneeling next to it.
I also added a thick layer of dark mulch around the bed so we have an area we can walk on without turning things into mud.
I was almost done this part of the project when the rains started and they came down hard but the garden didn’t flood which makes me so happy. The plan is to make a second raised bed which will reach to about the middle of the garden. The rest will just be tilled as it’s already high enough it doesn’t flood.
The garden soil and compost we ordered is sitting in the driveway but it’s still too wet to start working in the vegetable garden so I started another little project.
I added a new flower bed between the vegetable garden and the property fence where I will start some wildflowers and sunflowers.
This will help to attract more birds, butterflies, ladybugs and pollinators like bees which seem to be in short supply these days.
NOTE: Because of the harsh and long winter we had there maybe far more bees that didn’t survive so I left all the dandelions in our yard while other flowers in our yard get started.
Instead of digging up the section of lawn I used to cardboard boxes to cover the lawn. Next I added a layer of garden soil, a layer of organic compost and another layer of garden soil.
About a half hour or so and I had the area covered.
After that I added a border around the area and levelled off the soil. Then I left it because it was going to rain.
We have a couple of days of rain going right now and low temperatures so I will wait to seed it until the rain stops and temperature goes back up a few degrees. Still early enough to get frost.